- Same day help for your poorly child
If your child has become unwell in the last few days and you would like urgent advice then please contact the surgery and we will arrange for a clinician to speak to you and if necessary to see your child, today – this could save you an unnecessary trip to A+E or a Walk-in Centre. Can we also make you aware of the Little Orange Book, which provides expert help for parents and carers on how to manage common problems in babies and small children – ask reception for a copy, or view it online here
- A&E or 999 – for health emergencies
Use the 999 service for serious health emergencies which include:
a major accident
severe chest pains
severe blood loss
There are accident and emergencies (A&E) services available at Royal Victoria Infirmary (RVI) in Newcastle and North Tyneside General Hospital in North Shields and Northumbria Specialist Emergency Care Hospital in Cramlington.
- For minor problems during normal surgery hours contact the surgery for advice.
Walk-in Centres and Minor Injury Units for treatment of minor
illnesses or injuries without an appointment.
- 111 is the number to call when you need medical help fast but it’s not a life-threatening emergency.
– Calls to 111 are FREE from landlines and mobiles
– NHS 111 is available 24/7, every day of the year
You should call 111 when:
you think you need to go to A&E or to another NHS urgent care service
your GP surgery is closed and you need healthcare advice
you don’t know who to call for medical help.
- NHS Choices – is the online ‘front door’ to the NHS. It is the country’s biggest health website and gives all the information you need to make choices about your health. Visit NHS Choices at www.nhs.uk
- Local pharmacies provides expert advice on common health problems and many pharmacies have early and late opening hours.
If you receive free prescriptions you can use the Pharmacy First scheme which allows people to go straight to their pharmacist to receive treatment without needing to get a prescription first.
- Self care
Minor ailments such as hangovers, upset stomachs, headaches and sore throats can be treated at home with a well stocked medicine cabinet.